Saturday, May 1, 2010

BADD: The monsters in your closet

It's been a while, but Blogging Against Disablism Day has brought me back out.
This isn't something recent or new, but something that's been continuously bothering me since I was, oh, 13 years old. Granted, this might be new and shocking news(™) to some people.

People of the universe, my disabilities are not the monsters in your closet, under your bed, or anywhere else it is that monsters hide. I am not someone (or something) to be pitied. I am a human being.

People of the universe, don't tell other people that they have to choose between being diabetic and being anorexic. Stop spreading lies about disability.




What lies do I want stopped? Well, all of them. I want you to stop telling people that they'll become diabetic by eating a candy bar, or any carbohydrates for that matter (THIS MEANS YOU, MEDIA!). I want you to stop telling people, and yourselves, that having a disability means your life is over. I want you to stop perpetuating the myth that people with disabilities are less than you, oh healthy person, just because we don't function the same way as you. I want you to stop telling the world that the worst part of being disabled is that I can be as awesome as you think you are (because in reality, it's not the disability part that get to me (and I can only speak for myself on this) but what irritates me the most, what makes me hate being "other" is the way the rest of society treats people with disabilities). And many more...

But more than just stopping the spread of lies, I want you to believe the truth. I want you to start believing that people with disabilities are beautiful and handsome and lovely and wonderful. I want you to believe that I truly am a happy person (when depression doesn't have its hold). And so much more...

I want you to not just believe, but to know. I want you to know I can take care of myself. I want you to know that I am capable of making my own decisions. I want you to know that I can do more than live. I want you to know I can thrive. And so much more...

I want you to see what world is like from my point of view. It's not all bad. In fact, it's actually rather pleasant at times.

4 comments:

  1. Here Here! Let's get some truth out there, and stop with the lies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! May your message reach many people. (Here through BADD, doing the reading a little later than most.)

    ReplyDelete